Employment Authorization Documents (EAD)

Dependent Family Members of Temporary Work Visa Holders

Some dependent family members may be eligible to apply for Employment Authorization Documents (i.e. EAD cards) that give them permission to work in the United States. Eligible family members include dependent spouses of those with temporary nonimmigrant visas (such as E-2, E-3, J-1 or L-1). Spouses and children (under the age of 21) of temporary work visa (H-1B) holders who have an approved I-140 immigrant petition, but are not yet able to immigrate due to backlogged priority dates in their preference category, may also be eligible to apply for employment authorization by submitting Form I-765.

Our office is able to assist with the filing of employment authorization applications on behalf of family members.

DACA Applicants (“Dreamers”)

Under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, applicants who were brought to the United States before the age of 16 may file for EAD cards. To be eligible for DACA, applicants must prove that:

  • They arrived in the U.S. before age 16 and were under age 31 on June 15, 2012;
  • They have a U.S. high school diploma or equivalent, are enrolled in a program to obtain one or are honorably discharged from the U.S. military;
  • They have resided continuously in the U.S. (without departing and returning) for at least five years; and
  • They have not been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanors.

Those approved for DACA status and employment authorization under this program are given a two-year period of deferred action and employment authorization, and may apply to renew both.

Our office provides services for determining DACA eligibility and filing applications for DACA status and employment authorization.